Pages

October 12, 2015

Midori browser font rendering

I was having issues with Midori not rendering fonts the way I thought it should in aptosid XFCE. I set a default.css in ~/.local/share/midori/styles/default.css:
* {
    font-smooth:always !important;
    -webkit-font-smoothing: subpixel-antialiased !important;
    text-rendering: optimizeLegibility !important;
}
but that didn't fix what appeared to be wonky antialiasing. So I had a look in my ~/.Xresources and lo!:
Xft.dpi: 96
Xft.antialias: true
Xft.hinting: true
Xft.rgba: rgb
Xft.autohint: false
Xft.hintstyle: hintslight
Xft.lcdfilter: lcddefaul  !!! Typo here !!! Should be "lcddefault".
Things are much improved now. I'm not 100% certain that it's 100% right, but it's definitely mostly right.

The takeaway for you, dear reader, is not to ignore your display configuration in  ~/.Xresources.

No comments: